The ENS LSH had its origins in two Écoles normales supérieures that were founded in 1880 and 1882, located in Fontenay-aux-Roses (for female students) and Saint-Cloud (for male students), both near Paris. In 1981, both became coed. As part of France's process of decentralisation, the scientific departments moved to Lyon in 1987, with the creation of the École Normale Supérieure de Lyon; humanities students remained in what was now called the ENS de Fontenay/St Cloud. In 2000 the humanities were transferred to the newly created École Normale Supérieure Lettres et Sciences Humaines, also located in the Gerland district of Lyon's 7th arrondissement. The École Normale Supérieure Lettres et Sciences Humaines and the École Normale Supérieure de Lyon merged on 1 January 2010, retaining the name École Normale Supérieure de Lyon.